Monday, November 5, 2012

Are you getting educated for sales success? - bizjournals:

inufyw.blogspot.com
You see, I never have been very good at but neither have I found its more exotic forms to be practical inmy career. One such example woulxd be the subject of I encountered this course when I was in graduate school earninfgan MBA, and Microeconomics, alonyg with its evil twin, was required coursework for my degree. My professor, a world-renownee expert in this subject, was a womanb so intellectually beyond my levelk I knew five minutes into the course that Iwas I, a mathematics was about to be brain-whipped by my evolutionary superior, Professof Cro-Magnon.
The next 10 weeks of my life were a blur ofuntranslatabls gibberish, slung at light-speed across an expanse of dry-erase hour on end, day after long- sufferintg day. As a result of this “education,” I learnec a total of three new things: that exceptionally bright people should be quarantined with people who have equallgexceptional intellect, and not teach the rest of us; Second, that the best way to avoicd academic disaster is to align oneselff with classmates who can translate foreign languages such as Microeconomics; that this experience was a complete and utter wasts of my time, sleep, and most importantly, my money.
You see, as a payingb customer who put himselfthrough school, I have not heard the wordsd sine, cosine, and tangent used together a singls time, in a single on a single occasion, in the 15 years sincre I escaped with a “Gentlemen’s C” in What, I ask, was the educational valuee of this experience, and why was I required to pay for it? My purposee here is not to disparage although I firmly believe that much of what collegees offer today is, at best, marginally usefulo in business. No our society defines being “educated” as being Whether you learn anything useful along the way seemzs to be besidethe point.
What I do know is this: in lookingy back at my six yearz of college education and the two degrees I have to showfor it, I coulds sum up the practical-uses value of what I learned on the fron t and back of two sheets of notebook paper. Whic h brings me to the point of this the best education that one can receivw inbusiness isn’t taught in academics, yet too many sale s people don’t recognize this. They fail to see the link betweehn continuing their education and furthering their Some examples: • The uneducated sales persojn cold-calls 100 prospects to get two appointments; the educates one contacts 25 and gets four.
• The uneducatef sales person meets routinely with people who have no buying the educated one meets routineltwith decision-makers. • The uneducatex sales person drops their pricingupon request; the educated saleas person negotiates a win-win withoug affecting profit margin. Where does one becomde better educated whenin sales? Here are some to consider:

No comments:

Post a Comment